To: MWcybercourse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Game of Life
From: "Daniel Ajoy" <dajoy@xxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 10:40:22 -0500

On 1 Feb 2002 at 21:06, Wendy Petti wrote:

> Daniel, I don't have a clue how your program works, but it's
> awesome!!!
> I bet if I really really really studied it I could figure out at
> least some of it, but I don't even understand the concept of the
> game of Life, so that handicaps me from the outset.

Check out the attached "game of life", specially, "glider" at "fast
speed". You can findout more about the game of life searching for
"Conway's game of life".

> I wonder if you would be so kind as to comment your procedures a
> little bit or send us another message where you give us an
> overview of what each procedure is doing and how? With just a
> bit of orientation, those of us with less programming experience
> might begin to get a handle on your program.

Well, most is Pavel's work and I didn't take the time to understand
it fully :)

My only contribution was the get.cell and set.cell procedures.
They set the state of a cell to: alive or dead, or query a
cell as to what state it has.

Pavel uses variables to store the state of the cells (or something
else, I didn't understand the notation), I use the screen.

The left matrix of cells is the actual scenario. The right matrix
of cells is just a temporary working pad to calculate the "next
state" of the left matrix. After the calculations are completed.
The right matrix is copied into the left matrix. And we start over
again.