Subject: automatic picture saving
From: mwforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Wendy Petti)
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 19:37:10 -0400

Thank you for sharing.  (Please tell us your name!)  You sound like a very
seasoned Logo lover!

I will provide an answer your specific question about automatic
picture-saving and numbering.  I do not know the answer to the Linux
question.

First, a few remarks on your project so far:  I made a minor correction to
your code and uploaded the revised project to our MW Forum project archive
at:

http://www.mathcats.com/mwforum/attachments.html

I renamed the file "bounce-w" because we already have a "bounce" project in
the archive.

The correction is that in your bounce procedure you twice wrote:

fd 1,

producting the error message:  I don't know how to 1,

(There should be no comma after 1.  I removed the commas.)

Okay, on to your question: there is indeed an easy way to automatically
number pictures as you are saving them.  One solution can be found at the
MicroWorlds in Action website, project Squares 7:

http://mia.openworldlearning.org/squares/squares_7.htm

That solution involves creating an invisible textbox to hold the file name
as it is being built.  However, I've also uploaded a shorter solution to
our project archive; it is called "bounce-savepict"

The procedure is this:

to save_shot
savepict (word "shot 1 + count pictlist ".gif)
end

This procedure builds a word out of 3 components.  The second component is
1 + count pictlist

This number will grow as each new picture is added to the list.  Obviously
you would want this project to be placed in a folder without any existing
graphics or the numbering system will not work properly.

Then you would use this procedure inside another, perhaps like this:

to build-a-slideshow
repeat 20 [save_shot wait 3]
end

(of course changing the numbers after repeat and wait to suit your
purposes).

HOWEVER!!!!!  Right now this lovely pair of procedures accomplishes
absolutely nothing!!!!  Why??  Because they are taking pictures of empty
backgrounds!  SAVEPICT only preserves the background of the page; it does
not preserve objects.

You might try adapting like this:

to save_shot
everyone [stamp]
savepict (word "shot 1 + count pictlist ".gif)
clean
end

This would temporarily place the turtles' images on the background, take
their picture, then erase the background without affecting the turtles'
positions.

To view your slide sequence, you could write another procedure such as
this:

to view_slides
make "slide# 1
repeat 20 [loadpict word "shot :slide# make "slide# :slide# + 1 wait 3]
end

I've uploaded my original solution (which takes empty pictures in this
case!) called bounce-saveict as well as the solution which stamps then
cleans the page - called bounce-w-savepict.  The animation is very jerky
though, because of the wait 3; if you really want to recreate the bouncing
in an animated gif you might want to make the page size much much smaller
and then take the pictures much more rapidly and include many more of them
in your animation.

I attach the second solution here.

Hope this helps!

Wendy Petti
Director of Curriculum, OpenWorld Learning
content developer for OWL's MicroWorlds in Action
http://mia.openworldlearning.org
Math Cats
http://www.mathcats.com