Subject: re: Koch snowflake
From: mwforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Wendy Petti)
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 18:34:51 -0500

Kate, to answer your latest question, Bob gave you the MSW Logo code.  In
MicroWorlds we need to put a space before and after the division sign.  There
is a simpler MW code for the snowflake, below.

I have added graphics files to accompany the two Koch snowflake projects on
the attachments page at:

http://www.mathcats.com/mwforum/attachments.html

to illustrate levels 3 and 4 using the MW Koch snowflake project (below) and
the Koch snowflake detail created with the MSW Logo code supplied by Bob G.
My apologies in advance if message with the MW code and project below end up
arriving twice; right now one copy is floating in cyberspace.  - Wendy

* * *

Like Bob, I consulted Jim Muller's "The Great Logo Adventure" (thanks, Bob and
Jim, for the MSWLogo version! The code supplied by Bob is one implementation
but there are simpler ones) - below is a simple adaptation utilizing the
MicroWorlds slider feature:

This project uses 2 sliders named LENGTH and LEVEL.  I've slightly renamed the
variables in the SIDE procedure to show the relationship to the sliders but to
remind us that these variables begin with the values on the sliders and then
adjust as the procedure is run:

to koch_snowflake
seth -90
repeat 3 [rt 120 side length level]
end

to side :length? :level?
if :level? = 0 [fd :length? stop]
side :length? / 3 :level? - 1 lt 60
side :length? / 3 :level? - 1 rt 120
side :length? / 3 :level? - 1 lt 60
side :length? / 3 :level? - 1
end

See the attached MW project to try it out.

Wendy