Subject: Help editing colours
From: mwforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Wendy Petti)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 00:49:34 -0400

Hi Tania,

Welcome to MW Forum!
I had difficulty with your attachment... it arrived with a "dat" extension,
but I converted it to MicroWorlds, then realized you are using the new MW EX,
which is not backwards compatible with earlier versions of MicroWorlds.  Most
members of this forum would be unable to open your attachment even if it had
come through properly, so I transferred the procedures, maze background, and
bee shapes to an earlier form of MW (attached, renamed Maze_Tania because we
already have a "maze" project in our attachment archives).  You can also
access the attachment (in MW2 form) at
http://www.mathcats.com/mwforum/attachments.html

I cleaned up a few mistakes in your code which I'll mention here:

1) You were placing a comma in between the two elements of your list in your
setpos commands - like this:
setpos [-273, 213]
(Don't use the comma.  I removed the commas.)

2) Turtle t1 was never getting a chance to follow any instructions after "cg"
because of this command:
bee, fly

Your "fly" procedure has a "forever" command within it which will run forever
without allowing any other processes to launch.  So, I modified the command:
bee, launch [fly]
This starts the "fly" procedure and then processes the subsequent commands.

But in answer to your question, here is the reason that your colors are not
triggering their instructions when turtle t1 crosses over them:

t1 has its pen down. It is drawing as it moves.  Therefore, it always sees
black underneath it.  Here is one way to work around that limitation (the
turtle first moves forward a tiny bit with its pen up, backs up, then moves
forward again with its pen down):

to step
t1, pu
fd 2
bk 2
pd
fd 2
end

to move
repeat 5 [step]
end

Then you could have a "move" button that would move the turtle forward 10
pixels each time it is pressed.  (You could also have buttons to turn the
turtle if you wish.)  I tested out this pair of procedures and the red color
did activate the announcement when the turtle tried to move across a red line.
The black line being drawn by t1 stopped exactly at the red line.  (I did not
save these procedures in the attached lightly-edited version of your project.)

Good luck as you continue working with MicroWorlds!  Please feel free to ask
for help any time you're stuck.

I also encourage you to visit OWL's MicroWorlds in Action at:
http://mia.openworldlearning.org
for a lot of hands-on learning activities in the projects area, a "How Do I?"
section, articles on MicroWorlds and constructivism, and more.

Wendy