Subject: Re: Maze emailing projects
From: mwforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Logo Computer Systems Inc.)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:53:46 -0400

Just to add to what Wendi wrote. Macintosh projects created using MicroWorlds 2.0 (not v.1.0) need to be converted to PC format before they can be opened using a Windows version of MicroWorlds 2.0 or Pro. There is a read.me on the Mac 2.0 (v.2.03 or higher) cd that will provide you with step by step directions on how to import a Windows project to Macintosh format or a Macintosh project to Windows format. Keep in mind that while the project is converted, any imported media (sounds, music and video) will still need to be converted using second party software (I have a list of titles if you need them). MicroWorlds Pro was a handy addition because the Macintosh version creates a Windows (.mw2 or .mwz) project that is fully compatible (just be sure to add a .mw2 or a .mwz extension) with Windows Pro or 2.0. Macintosh MicroWorlds Pro also supports Mac 2.0 projects. This means that you can use Mac Pro to open a 2.0 Mac project, save it as a Pro project, add the extension to the file name and you've got a full working Windows Pro or 2.0 (and mac pro) version of your project. The Macintosh 2.0 project is the "odd man out". Keep in mind that there are also compatibility issues with Pro and 2.0 projects when it comes to projects that contain Pro specific shapes, hyperlinks and imported media (.mpg's and .mp3's) that are only supported by Pro. Refer to the "creating 2.0 compatible projects" article found under Appendicies in the built in Pro Help system.

Projects that are download or e-mailed to a Macintosh that take on a "blank icon" are another story altogether. Please refer to my "difficulty e-mailing projects" post yesterday for directions on avoiding and or repairing any "blank icon" projects that you may have on your Macintosh.

Please don't hesitate to call me at 1800-321-5646 with any questions.

Shawn

Wendy Petti wrote:

 A Mac-using member of our MWForum has similarly been unable to
 download and open the files sent as attachments to this list and
 posted online.  But I've had no trouble with my own Mac.  I have not
 been able to understand why some Macs can access the files and some
 cannot.It is important to realize that Mac users cannot expect to open
 PC MW projects simply by double-clicking icons, and they may not
 appear originally as MW icons.  It is supposed to work if a Mac user
 opens a blank MW project in the same folder as the saved attachment,
 then types in the command center:import "filename.mw2It is important
 to include the extension.  This should load the project which can then
 be resaved as a Mac MW project.But when one of our MWForum members
 followed these steps it did not work.  I really do not know why.If you
 send the project to me, I can convert it to a Mac MW project and send
 it to your son if there is no other way to do it.  But actually I
 think I did that for our forum member and that did not work either!
 Still it might be worth a try.What version of MW are you using and
 what version is your son using, by the way?  If you are both using MW
 Pro then it is supposed to be cross-platform.  Also, what e-mail
 program is your son using?  (AOL is the *worst* in handling
 attachments.  I think sometimes attachments get converted to another
 file type in transit and maybe that is the problem.)  You might also
 try sending the project as a zip file... if your son can deal with
 those.  But then he would still need to follow the instructions above
 after unzipping.Wendy