Subject: Help with Conditionals
From: mwforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Daniel Ajoy)
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 14:51:14 -0500

On 19 May 2004 at 9:44, Shannell M. Jackson wrote:

> This works but leaves a gap between the other girls and their oranges.
> I wanted the oranges to stop when they reached their corresponding girl

The only way I know of doing this is to assign a different instruction
to each turtle either manually or with the "setinstruction" primitive;
clickon eack turtle, and then, when the condition is met, to "clickoff"
each turtle.

> and clickon their text of the speed.

I found this and an obstacle, because each turtle already has this
"orangeX-speed" instructions.

> My students and I are also experiencing a problem with and error that "
> fd does not like [] as input"

That is because not every turtle has a "speed" property. And you
ask every turtle for its speed property here, when you say:

everyone [forever [fd speed ]]

Attached is a modified version of you project with which I'm not
very happy because it's a bit complex. The thing is that
"test_velocity" sets the instructions of each of these turtles:
t1,t2,t3,t4,t5 and then click's on each of them.

Each turtle is instructed to "forward speed" and also to check
if it is touching its catcher. If this condition if found to
be true, the turtle is instructed to change its own instruction
to a "showtext".

This goes for all of the orange turtles but, when the orange touches
its catcher, t1 is also instructed to make an announcement before
reprogramming itself.