Subject: RE: calculator - getting charcters to variable till some sign
From: mwforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Zehava Wizman)
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:45:51 +0300

Hi all! in my attached MW2 file (in procedures) I wrote my problem thanks, Zehava

From: "Wendy Petti" <wpetti@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Zehava Wizman" <zehava_w@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 10:56:42 -0400

Hmmmm.... I'm not really sure! It would help me to see your project so far.
But I also think you should pose your question to the whole MWForum list,
because some of the members of the list know a lot more than I do and have
clever solutions to problems. Would you post your question there, along
with your attached project? I will see what I can do to help, but I'd like
to involve them, too. Write to:

mwforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What I'm thinking so far is that if you really want to create a calculator,
the user should not have to make a space before and after the symbol for the
operation. And the operation itself should not appear in the display. But
after typing the symbol, the first number should become hidden (and stored
as a variable) and the second number should begin appearing on the display.

Garry Clark of Australia has made a "Broken Calculator" project that really
does function like a calculator except that some of the keys are missing (on
purpose). Perhaps you could study his procedures to see how he does it.
It's posted at Math Cats but I also attach it here so you can have access to
the procedures. He's come up with a fascinating solution, I think. The
ENTER :V procedure is the one you need to focus on. Each turtle wearing a
number or a sign has an instruction - the "6" turtle has the instruction
ENTER 6.

If you need a solution that responds to the actual keys typed on the
computer, then perhaps you could use READCHAR to activate the number turtles
on the page.

Wendy