Subject: Calling mathcats: geometry help please
From: mwforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Wendy Petti)
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 02:11:47 -0400

I lack the programming and mathematical expertise needed to fully grasp let
alone solve this problem, but I hope the attached project might be a step in
the right direction.  I'm not very good with list processing, so I placed
the 4 inputs as 4 lines in a textbox.  I leave it to one of you to adapt the
code to the input format Jeff requests:  [[[x1 y1][x2 y2]] [[x3 y3][x4 y4]]]
and to wrestle with the question of how to find an intersection outside the
specified line segments.

But I will say that at least with this simple example of inputs, where the
two line segments do intersect, I've managed to draw the two line segments
and output their intersection.

My humble project could not handle coordinates that exceed the limits of the
project page.  But it might be possible to use the basic concept of this
project to extend line segments beyond their specified starting and ending
points to determine if and where they intersect.

Attached:  intersection_of_lines.mw2

Wendy
OWL's MicroWorlds in Action
http://mia.openworldlearning.org