Subject: MIA, Ask an Expert: gravity, asciis, ...
From: mwforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Jeff Knope)
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:24:39 -0700

F.S.(forescript?): I just tried to send this missive with the attached
project containing an elaborate background graphic. It was taking an
eternity to upload, so I aborted it. I hope that prevented it from being
delivered. If all of you have had to twiddle your thumbs for 10 minutes,
waiting for a mail download that wasn't even complete, I'm terribly sorry. I
won't do it again, I promise. Removing the graphic made it much less pretty,
but also much smaller.

Hi -

The attached Project uses yet another approach to target behavior. The
target turtle's instruction (set for "many times") reads:

fd random 20 wait :spd lt random 35 fd random 20 wait :spd rt random 40.

:spd (speed) is a value set to between 3 and .5, using the "Level" buttons.
These may be changed "on-the-fly." I'm not a gamer, and don't have youthful
reflexes, but I find Level 4 pretty tough. If anybody wants to crank it up
higher, use :spd values below .5.

The target moves in an effectively (sometimes maddeningly) evasive way. It
also exploits that recent forum subject of the turtle going off one edge,
only to appear on the opposite edge.

It takes a bit of practice to learn to drive the Shooter turtle. The gun
range is too short to permit you to just sit in the middle, turning
turret-style, firing away. Sometimes you have to chase the target.

The keys used are under your fingers in Home Position. I'm left-handed, so I
shoot with "S" - you can change it to "L" for a right-handed trigger, in the
procedure TO TRY2. Because of having more keys to read, it uses a little
different approach to doing that than Daniel's.

It doesn't always score a hit when you think it should. But that's just
verisimilitude, right? There's reporters for time remaining and current
score. It starts a 60 seconds, and stops when time's up.

As Wendy explained about Daniel's project, when you first load it, you must
click on the active screen before the Shooter will respond to commands. You
can do this before you click on Start.

After I got the explosion of a "hit" working well, I tried to add
"bam-bam-bam" and "ka-boom" sound effects. But, mercifully, I can't figure
out how to do it without messing up the shooting behavior. Maybe somebody
else wants to figure that out?

--Jeff