To: <mwforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Teaching LOGO to Pre-Schoolers
From: "Jeff Knope" <jknope@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 09:20:08 -0700

Chuck's discussion of teaching LOGO to Pre-Schoolers and his use of OKL's (new term for me), reminded me of recent efforts to make a "composer" that enables managing a MW environment with mouseclicks only.

So I decided to try to make a little "NKL" (No Key Logo). It seems to me there could be some advantages to this. There is no need to take your eyes off the screen to go find a key. There is no need to remember which keys stand for what action (the commands are already written out).

I have included a very short list of commands: clean, home, forward, back, left, right, pen up, pen down, and a thing called "go to click".

Forward and back move 20 turtle steps. Left and right turn 30 degrees. These are defined in the procedure DOIT, located immediately after Startup. So anyone can easily change the input to any of these. Pen up and pen down act as a toggle whose status is always shown.

There is also a little color picker that allows a few choices of pencolor. I would think that will add some excitement to the sense of control.

This "go to click" may or may not be a good idea. It does a "setpos mousepos" with the next mouseclick that is anywhere in the graphics field above the line of commands. There is a color change in the box that contains this command to indicate its readiness to do that. The setpos is done with whatever pu/pd and setc status is in effect at the time of the click in the graphic field. There is no need to do that click immediately following clicking on "go to click." The other commands are still active and can be used regardless of the status of "go to click."

"Go to click" is a fundamentally different way of managing what the turtle does. Whether this is a good thing to include, I really don't know. If you don't like it being there, it's easy enough to mask out. Use some color other than "sky," do a freezbg (on a clean drawing field) and save it.

This is such a tiny program, I'm sending it as a Project File filetype rather than Compressed. That way it's available to those of you with older versions of MW that don't support Compressed files.

--Jeff

P.S.: I was surprised to discover there are no MW commands "penup" and "pendown." Unlike the other commands that have both an abbreviated form and a long form, "pu" and "pd" are are their only versions. This notwithstanding, I have shown these commands as written-out English words.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Friesen" <cfriesen@xxxxxxx>