To: <mwforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Teaching
From: "Ray Catzel" <raycatzel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 16:29:38 -0400

Attached is a variation of the "follow the line" problem. It is "follow the
border of any shape".

I prefer this for the students because the coding is less verbose and more
intuitive. Using sliders puts the student in an experimental position - a
more constructivist approach. Creating two turtles to perform shows how over
the long term each turtle performs identically.

I prefer not to aim for perfectly stable turtle movements because the coding
tends to become more complex. The aim is really to get the students to think
and problem solve - at an appropriate level. The students (and I) love to
see crazy things happen when one changes parameters.

Enjoy

Ray Catzel