To: "Devon Barclay" <devonbarclay@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
Subject: Complexity of EX and code everywhere
From: "Daniel Ajoy" <da.ajoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:44:40 -0500

(student project attached: "Atoms invants.mwx" )

On 24 Apr 2007 at 10:00, Devon Barclay wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> What we're trying to do is make it so that when an atom hits the
> red, it sends an instruction to the atoms that have becmoe stuck
> on the colored circle allowing them to move again (the colored
> circle sets their speed to 0 when they land on it).
>
> I'd been trying to isolate all turtles with a speed of zero
> and move them, but there's a turtle (t14) that has to remain
> stationary to change the color of the circle. I think I have that
> bug fixed.
>
> Any ideas?

Hi Devon,

Interesting. I learned something new about EX today! :)

It seems that the instructions you give to colors, are carried out
after the rules you give to turtles.

The atoms have their OnColor:red rule programmed to carry out the
GetOut procedure. This happens before the instructions programmed
in the Color red itself are activated.

(image attached)

I turns out that the instructions programmed in the color Red
never get activated because GetOut effectively move the atoms
out of red. (actually out of the jar).

I experimented with this new content for the procedure
"getout". And discarded the instructions for red:

to getout
everyone [
 if not who = "t14 [
  if speed = 0 [fd 20 setspeed 0.1]
 ]
]
end

Now, the name "getout" doesn't make any sense. It should
be called "free.atoms.in.circle" or something to that effect.

but the rule in every atom refers to "getout" and it would be
a hassle to replace every instance of getout.

That is a reason why I like all my code to be in the procedures
tab (where I can use Search and Replace), and not scattered
around, in turtles.

I think this is a good example of the differences between
EX and Pro.