To: Mwforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Angles project
From: "Daniel Ajoy" <da.ajoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 23:23:43 -0500

On 4 May 2007 at 19:26, Boyd, Ronald wrote:

> Sorry to bother again I am at another impasse. Thanks for
> the previous suggestions. I have added a few things but it
> has caused new problems.
> 1. The buttons stay depressed. You
> have to click twice to choose it again. I am not sure what
> I added that caused this to start happening. They seem to
> reset when you choose new game.

(how can you debug your project if you call presentation mode?

When I want to find out what's wrong with my code I need
to see the processes tab, and I usually need to write code
in the command center. in presentation mode, this is impossible.)

they stay depressed because their actions don't stop.

the acute_check procedure calls
the "disappear" procedure

the "disappear" calls the "go" procedure

the "go" procedure calls "when"

"when" never stops.

> 2. Also my timer does not work as I had desired. I want it
> to keep track of how much time it takes to complete the
> whole game. Which it now does but then I wanted to somehow
> report that time in the final announcement statement. I
> tried including a command statement in the announcement but
> that did not work..

try:

announce sentence [You're the Winner! You finished in] seconds

> 3. My announcement at the end repeats it self. I think it
> is because the score is still at 15 so it regenerates..I
> tried adding the command setcorrect 0 before the announce
> command to no avail.

I didn't notice this.

> 4. Finally my pie in the sky wish.. I would love to somehow
> generate a Hi scores list. I do not know if this is even
> possible. I have thought of several ways to try (1st choice
> generate a query for the users initals and then grab the
> final time and post it keeping only the top 10, 2nd choice
> simpler version of 1st that only keeps the lowest time, 3rd
> something that would stamp the date and the score or just
> the lowest time)I am wondering if this would even be
> feasible since kids would be using this in a lab setting.
> The web version would not allow you to keep information
> between times a user goes to the site. In the version that
> kids access on a server through the program would also not
> do this unless it was saved each time (not a good idea for
> the integrity of the game). So it looks like it would have
> to be cleared each time the game was accessed but not
> replayed. I am still not sure about the worth of this final
> idea except to increase the motivation factor.....
> Once I get this done I think I have everything so it can be
> modified for practice with other geometric shapes etc.

Attached is a sample project with the infrastructure to
do it.

After you finish your project you should put you project
in the server with Read Only properties, if you don't want
students to save over it.

My project creates a TopPlayers.txt text file with the list
of students and scores. It updates itself every time the "game
ends".

My startup procedure loads that file, every time the project
is loaded. Not two computers can play the same game at the same
time.

(this last paragraph makes me think that there is a way to
develop games in which different copies of the game can communicate
by the manipulation of text files in a central server....)