To: <mwforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Basic Command Descriptions
From: "Russell, Ken" <krussell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 14:07:39 -0800

I have been searching the web to find simple descriptions of basic logo
commends, but as of yet, I have been unable to do so. I have been able to find
documents such as the MicroWorlds Vocabulary
http://mia.openworldlearning.org/voctable_p.htm and various very brief command
summaries. But what I am looking for is something like this example:
========Random

Random is a logo command that chooses a number from one up to a number that
you specify. The number you choose must follow the random command. The number
cannot be zero or negative, but a couple different tricks can be used to
produce a negative result.

Examples:

fd random 25
This command will move the turtle forward some number between  1 and 25
steps.

repeat 1000 [fd random 100 rt random 360]
This command will move the turtle forward some distance between  1 and 100,
then the turtle will turn right a random number of degrees. It will repeat
this command 100 times.
========
I  would like to have these available to my students for reference or for
their use when they are working independently. It would not be practical to
have a description for every command, but having them for the more frequently
used commands would be helpful.

Does anyone know if command descriptions using this kind of format are
available?

Thanks in advance.

Ken Russell
Bellingham Schools