To: MWForum <mwforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Fwd: manipulating text files and serial port communication
From: "Daniel Ajoy" <da.ajoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 01:50:54 -0500

Hi Rotem,

You built an actual robot. How are you currently communicating with it? Through the serial port?

1.
              I tried sending commands with the serial but with no success.
              The send command doesn't accept any logo command as an input
only numbers...
              Maybe I'll represent the commands using numbers in a table of
some sort?

First command will be   "seth" second will be the value

This sound like a good idea. But only if the robot you built already understands those commands.

2.      Instead of using a table I thought of another way using microworlds
link library like malloc , db and so on, in order to create in the memory
the command I want to send and then to send their address through the port,
there the commands are stored in bytes, but there isn't much info in the
help file on how to use those commands could you direct my to a better
source of information

this options seems like a lot of trouble.

3.      You mentioned that you think working with files his easier how come?

With your help I created a data (DB) base of commands but from that DB I
still need to translate the command into a binary code

you can send bytes through the serial port. That is what the ".send" command does:

.send :byte

This primitive sends a byte of information to the serial port. It accepts an integer between 0 and 255 inclusive as the information to send.

You can create text files using MicroWorlds, but I don't see how those text files will be of any help in controlling your robot. You need to know what is it that your robot understands, and how it communicates with it's environment.