To: "MicroWorlds Forum" <mwforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: MIA, Ask an Expert: Jigsaw Puzzle using Snapshape
From: "Daniel Ajoy" <da.ajoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 22:16:25 -0500

from: Rod Hames <rod_hames@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
date: Mon Feb  7 19:53:02 2011

I am trying to have an image on my screen's background that is stamped become a jigsaw puzzle. It is really tedious the way I am trying to do it. Has anyone out there got a good simple procedure that would hatch turtles, and then change their shapes and then snapshape?

Here is what I came up with after hatching countless turtles and lining them up over the puzzle picture:

t1, setsh 1 snapshape
t2, setsh 2 snapshape
t3, setsh 3 snapshape
t4, setsh 4 snapshape
t5, setsh 5 snapshape
t6, setsh 6  snapshape
etc...

or I tried but failed at this procedure:

dolist [i [1 2 3 4 56]]  [t:i, setsh :i]

Thanks for any suggestions you might offer.

Rod Hames
Crews Middle School
Lawrenceville, Georgia USA
rod_hames@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Excellent guess Rod,

It turns out that comma (,) is just a shorthand notation for a command called "talkto"

for example, the better way of saying:

t1,

is actually:

talkto "t1

Using the shorthand notation has caused problems before. That is because this shorthand notation (also called syntactic sugar) is not consistent with the rest of the language.

So, this shorthand notation is not as powerful as the rest of the language. It is not as powerful as students usually expect it to be.

But the standard language without the shortcuts *is* powerful enough to do what you want, you just have to avoid the shorthand notation.

So try:

dolist [i [1 2 3 4 5 6]]  [talkto (word "t :i) setsh :i]

(Once again syntactic sugar creates confusion:
http://mia.openworldlearning.org/mwforum/msg03587.html
http://mia.openworldlearning.org/mwforum/msg03002.html
http://mia.openworldlearning.org/mwforum/msg03488.html
)