To: Rotem Kimchi <rotemk2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Fwd: manipulating text files and serial port communication
From: Alain Tougas <alain@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 12:06:41 -0500

Hi,

The big thing here is that the Logo interpreter works from right to left. So
let's do that on your IFELSE statement:

ASCII "| |
reports 32
:WORD = ASCII "| |
is like
:WORD = 32
This reports FALSE
Then
ASCII :WORD = ASCII "| |
is like
ASCII :WORD = 32
or
ASCII "FALSE
or
102
because ASCII "F = 102

Solution?
Remember that Logo comes from LISP which stands for Lots of Insipid Sets of
Parenthesis

While Logo will ALWAYS read from right to left, you can "arrange" things this
way:

IFELSE (ASCII :WORD) = (ASCII "| |)

ASCII "| |
will report 32