To: "MicroWorlds Forum" <mwforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: textbox name variables? color number variables?
From: "Daniel Ajoy" <da.ajoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 15:43:14 -0500

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 11:51:19 -0500, Dawn Young <YoungD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am using MicroWorlds EX Robotics. My 8th grade students are creating line segments from a central point so it looks like spokes of a wheel. I'd like them to have a text box at the end of each spoke that eventually has the heading for that spoke printed into it. Is there a way to have the textbox name be a variable that gets changed each repetition?

For example
Repeat 10 [fd 100 bk 100 text 1, pr heading rt 36]

yes.

Use dotimes if you want a "counter"

dotimes [i 10] [show :i]
0
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9

Then, you want to create text boxes through programming. Use newtext

But newtext doesn't like the names of text boxes to be bare numbers. Use "word" then

dotimes [i 4] [show word "mytextbox :i]
mytextbox0
mytextbox1
mytextbox2
mytextbox3

Take a look at PlaceTextBoxes.mwx  attached.

Text1 I want to become text2 for the second repetition rather than have a list of each heading in one box.

Do you know that there is serious discussion about which should be the first ordinal number, 1 or 0?

"dolist" thinks it is 0.

I am also experimenting with the same idea for coloring spokes of different colors...setc :color+1 kind of idea with the color variable being a number.

the ***command*** color outputs the color of the current turtle.

so you can say:

setc 1 + color

That means:

command *color*, please tell me what is the color of the current turtle.
operator *plus*, add 1 to that value.
command *setc*, please set the color of the current turtle to that.

I know I can do this with a line of logo code for each spoke, but was hoping there was a way to use it within repeat. Any ideas?

The problem with REPEAT is that inside the list of commands repeatedly run by REPEAT you don't know which repetition you are current running.... unless you use variables, or other variable-like thingies.

Using DOTIMES [i 10] [...] you *do* know which repetition you are currently running: the variable :i tells you.