To: "MicroWorlds Forum" <mwforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Hello / MW question
From: "Daniel Ajoy" <da.ajoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 15:29:47 -0500

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 22:51:34 -0500, Jean Stringer <sjbjeanmarie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Daniel,
Thank you so very much, I will take awhile to digest all of this. I think this will answer what I want to do when I search through all of your
help.
I must have sent you the wrong url as I was looking at both the one you sent back and this one
 http://mia.openworldlearning.org/howdoi/bfx.htm
 can you send me this project?

http://mia.openworldlearning.org/howdoi/hatchturtles.mw2
http://mia.openworldlearning.org/howdoi/hatchturtles2.mw2
http://mia.openworldlearning.org/howdoi/hatchturtles3.mw2

I want the kids to see it, where they might work with it. I tried to do it from the procedures on the page but I kept getting an error message I do not understand. Don't know where to find out what the message means.
 9 is not true or false

It means that:

the "if" command, and some other commands, need a condition that resolves into "true" or "false"

Something like this is not valid:

if 1 + 3 [show "hello]

because the condition resolves to 4, hence the error message:

4 is not true or false

There were things on this project I wanted understand and then to show to my
kids.
  When I look in the help  for MW many things I am looking for are not there.

Like what?

If you didn't send this / where would I ever go to find how to learn to do this.
  show diff (get "page1 "turtles) [t1 t2]
t5 t4 t3

and then:

ask (diff (get "page1 "turtles) [t1 t2]) [remove who]

or simply:

ask diff (get "page1 "turtles) [t1 t2] [remove who]
  Last for today! :)
 to diff :la :lb
  let [lc []]
  dolist [item :la] [
   if not member? :item :lb [
    make "lc fput :item :lc
   ]
  ]
  output :lc
end

This procedure is almost greek to me! But I will put it into Mw and see what happens as I work with it.

It receives two inputs and outputs one list:

show diff [daniel david cynthia victor ruth] [david ruth]
victor cynthia daniel

the result is the "set" difference between the first list and the second.