To: MicroWorlds Forum <mwforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Help!!!!!
From: Alan Bartram <at.bartram@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 13:56:18 +1000

On 17/06/2012 2:41 PM, Daniel Ajoy wrote:

On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 23:31:03 -0500, charlton <chnewport@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I need some new projects can someone give me some ideas
Thanks
Charlton

a project that:

* calculates if a number is prime or not.
* adds two fractions
* gives all of the divisors of a number
* draws pie charts

Hi Daniel,
There is a lovely mathematical problem that as far as I know has yet to be proved. It goes like this
1. If a number is even halve it
2. If a number is odd multiply it by three and add 1
3. Apply the rules to the resulting number

Eventually every number goes to 1

eg
2 - 1
3 - 10 - 5 - 16 - 8 - 4 - 2 - 1
4 - 2 - 1
5 - 16 - 4 - 2 - 1
 You can see that a whole lot of sub patterns occur.

The construction of this problem covers many of the topics you want and integrates them into an exciting investigation. Using a *wait* command slows down the program so children can test themselves against it. I have the program I developed for this somewhere. To test for primeness you would for example test if the number is 2 - if it is it is prime. Any other number that halve evenly (use a modulus test :a / 2 = Modulus :a / 2 (an :a between two vertical lines in the program) if they are equal the number is even and therefore not prime (Half your numbers taken care of. Then use a similar test for other numbers until you reach the halfway (that is the maximum number for the division). Hope this helps I've done that somewhere as well but it would be hard to find the one above I should be able to let you have if you need it but the construction was fun. I'm not sure what you mean by giving you a project I think the ideas you have suggested are good starting points just start working through them with the kids or work through similar examples where the same idea apply.

Hope this helps Alan Bartram